Wednesday, August 17, 2011

One Day--A Poem by Patricia Jabbeh Wesley

ONE DAY
by Patricia Jabbeh Wesley

Love Song for the Newly Divorced


One day, you will awake from your covering
and that heart of yours will be totally mended,
and there will be no more burning within.
The owl, calling in the setting of the sun
and the deer path, all erased.
And there will be no more need for love
or lovers or fears of losing lovers
and there will be no more burning timbers
with which to light a new fire,
and there will be no more husbands or people
related to husbands, and there will be no more
tears or reason to shed your tears.
You will be as mended as the  bridge
the working crew has just reopened.
The thick air will be vanquished with the tide
and the river that was corrupted by lies
will be cleansed and totally free.
And the rooster will call in the setting sun
and the sun will beckon homeward,
hiding behind your one tree that was not felled.

5 comments:

  1. Blessings to you, my dear. Your blog will be a blessing to many going through divorce.

    Patricia Jabbeh Wesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just as your poem is a blessing for us, too. My favorite line is: You will be as mended as the bridge/the working crew has just reopened.

    Thank you for this gift. Thank you for letting me use your poem, even though I didn't ask.

    L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my goodness, you are so gracious. No. You do not have to ask. Feel free to use any poem of mine you have need to. The poem was published in my fourth book, a book that was influenced by some of my own fears and struggles and particularly, by my friend, who went through a horrific divorce. There are other poems of that nature in the book, and may be online. Feel free to use them or if you see another of my poems anywhere, use it. The only rule is that you credit it, which you did, so it is my honor to know that a woman as brave and as powerful in your love for reaching out to others, has used my poem. Blessings always.

      Patricia

      Delete
  3. Man, that poem seemed made for you, L, with its rooster at the end! My favorite line is the same as yours.

    Catching up on your blog today. As always, I love your writing, especially the strands of silver beads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Candy. I haven't logged in for so long, catching up myself. Thinking of you in my insomnia. <3 I love your writing too, you know.

    ReplyDelete